Caffeine Sensitive? Try These 4 Medicinal Mushrooms For a Natural Pick-Me-Up
Ahh, coffee. That morning elixir that so many of us love & rely on. It can bring with it a host of benefits, but sometimes also unfavorable side-effects (Heart-pounding anxiety when it’s your turn to present at a meeting!). The good news is it is not the only option for those thinking about dating around the morning elixir energy scene. Today we talk about 4 superfood mushrooms that you can begin to incorporate in addition to, or in replacement of, coffee and still reap all the energizing benefits!
Superfood mushrooms can offer a gentle, low-acidic pick-me-up that is gut-friendly and offers an array of health benefits in addition to the energy support. Many varieties of superfood mushrooms are also considered adaptogens, meaning that they work to restore the balance of your nervous system, combat stress, and help your body adapt (A topic we covered in this blog). Not only can adaptogenic mushrooms support your natural energy levels & assist in feeling alert, but they will also help retain a deep sense of calm. If you are sensitive to caffeine and find it puts you on edge / makes you feel anxious, then utilizing superfood adaptogenic mushrooms may be a worthwhile route to explore.
Lion’s Mane is a unique mushroom that has an incredible ability to stimulate Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) in the brain. This makes Lion’s Mane a powerful nootropic, boosting brain cell regeneration and improving memory, cognition, and focus.
Health Benefits of Lion’s Mane to Support Energy
- Nerve Growth Factor - Lion’s Mane prevents and treats nerve damage in the brain by stimulating the release of the Nerve Growth Factor (NGF). (1)
- Neurogenesis - The bioactive compounds in Lion’s Mane mushroom, hericenones, and erinacines, have been shown to stimulate the creation and repair of neurons, which helps improve learning, memory, and mood. (1)
- Brain Optimization - Lion’s Mane helps reduce brain fog and increases alertness, leading to an improvement in anxiety and depression symptoms. (2)
We once believed that brain cells couldn't regenerate, but now we know they can, but this doesn't mean they will. NGF declines with age, and brain cells die, which leads to a lack of neuroplasticity and poor memory and reasoning. This leads to conditions such as anxiety and depression and age-related disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.Regular consumption of Lion’s Mane keeps your brain healthy and may reduce the risk of age-related diseases. (3)
With regular use, Lion’s Mane has been shown to create a boost in mental energy and mood. Some users even report improved decision-making, concentration, capacity to learn, and ability to solve problems. It can even reduce anxiety and depression. (1,2,3)
Give your mind a boost with Mālama Mushrooms Lion’s Mane Products!
Reishi has been a staple in Eastern medicine for over 2000 years. (4) While the benefits to the immune system are often most emphasized, reishi is also a powerful energy tonic.
Reishi extracts can boost brain power and sharpen memory and focus. In traditional Chinese medicine, Reishi was used to boost chi - life force energy. But it is not a traditional stimulant. Instead, it helps our bodies to stay optimally balanced, which results in a natural increase in vitality.
Health Benefits of Reishi to Support Energy
- Boost Cognitive Function - The polysaccharides in Reishi have proven neuroprotective benefits. They protect neurons from apoptosis (cell death) and oxidative stress and improve brain function. (5)
- Increased NGF - Similar to Lions Mane, the active triterpenes in Reishi also stimulate the production of nerve growth factor (NGF). (6)
- Promotes Better Sleep - Reishi mushrooms are also used to treat insomnia and are said to calm the nervous system, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve sleep quality. The terpenoid compounds in Reishi help soothe the nerves and promote sleep and have even been shown to increase the amount of time spent in deep sleep. (7) Better quality sleep will certainly boost your energy and brainpower during the day.
- Calms the Nervous System - Reishi has extraordinary properties that nourish and calm the nervous system to promote relaxation and help you better manage stress. Over time this could change your overall outlook on life and create long-lasting improvements in your life. For this reason, monks and have been using Reishi to deepen their meditative practice throughout history. (8)
Regular use of Reishi mushrooms should help you feel calm and focused. Find your everyday ‘Om’ with Mālama Mushroom’s Reishi Products
The Chaga fungus, named "Diamond of the Forest" by the Japanese and highly revered by the Siberian folk medicine practitioners, is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the world. It harnesses the nutrients from the inner layers of silver & white birch trees, which are believed to have medicinal properties themselves! Chaga has also been used in traditional Chinese medicine to balance Chi - or life force energy.
Health Benefits of Chaga to Support Energy
- A Powerful Antioxidant - Chaga mushrooms are high in a compound called super-oxide dismutase (SOD), an enzyme that reduces the damage done to cells by the most common free radical in the body - “super-oxide.”
- An Adaptogen That Reduces Stress - Chaga is another powerful adaptogen. It adapts to the needs of your body to strengthen your nervous system. The benefits of this include reduced anxiety and stress. (10) Studies show that Chaga also increases levels of happy hormones like dopamine and serotonin. (11)
Long-term use of Chaga can work to improve your mood and balance your energy levels. Improve your mood and enhance your life with our Chaga products.
Cordyceps are hailed as a natural energy booster that can protect against fatigue, depression, and diabetes. There are around 400 species of Cordyceps, but most scientific studies focus on just two Cordyceps sinensis and Cordyceps militaris.
Cordyceps has a lot of therapeutic potential because of its ability to boost oxygen utilization and ATP production and stabilize blood sugar. All of these factors work to give you better energy and focus.
Health Benefits of Cordyceps to Support Energy
- Boost Exercise Performance - Cordyceps have been shown to increase the body’s production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is essential for delivering energy to the muscles. This improves the way your body uses oxygen, especially during exercise. (12)
- Antioxidant Properties - Cordyceps increase antioxidants in the body which helps to improve memory and cognitive function. (13)
- Balance Blood Sugar - Balancing blood sugar leads to more stable energy. Cordyceps can keep blood sugar levels balanced by mimicking the action of insulin. (14)
Consuming Cordyceps mushroom powder regularity can give you more stable energy and concentration and less brain fog. It may also improve your physical performance, has anti-aging properties, and fights inflammation.
Cordyceps have been used in Chinese Medicine for hundreds of years. The Chinese government has even approved Cordyceps CS-4 for use in hospitals and recognizes it as a safe, natural drug. (15)
Power your next workday and workout with our Cordyceps Products for natural energy support!
Final Thoughts On Mushrooms For Natural Energy
People have used mushrooms to enhance concentration, boost energy and productivity, and calm the mind for thousands of years. They can, therefore, be an amazing replacement or addition to your morning coffee.
Is it time to upgrade your coffee routine? We think so. Whether you’re replacing that morning up of joe or just super-boosting it. We believe it is time to re-think daily habits & routine, that first cup of joe included! If you can’t decide which mushroom to begin to incorporate, you can reap all the energy-fueling benefits of allllll the mushrooms listed here today, Try Mālama’s 8 Mushrooms Superfood Powder Mix.
Not Ready to Give Up on Love (Or Coffee???)
Now, don’t get it twisted; we aren’t anti-coffee...quite the opposite. We’re very much in favor of a hot cup of Joe in the morning. For us, we actually love combining coffee AND mushrooms. Whether it is our mushroom mixes directly into coffee, or exploring or actual mushroom coffee products (with Kona beans nonetheless!) So, if you’re not quite ready to give up on coffee AND you’re looking for the perks of mushrooms, coffee with MUSHROOMS could be an amazing replacement for your regular coffee.
These mushroom-coffee blends have all the perks (pun intended) of coffee with the added benefits of superfood mushrooms. For example, the mushrooms can keep away jitters and provide more stable energy while relieving anxiety levels & boosting cognitive function in the long run! (16) Depending on the degree of your sensitivity, you could consider a coffee blend that includes superfood mushrooms. Mushrooms can help ease the stimulant effects of coffee. While coffee increases levels of stress hormones such as cortisol, mushrooms do the opposite, directly reducing cortisol levels. This creates a smoother production of energy and reduces the crash associated with caffeine.
Less caffeine, with the same buzz, and a smoother landing. Mushroom coffee does more of what you want for less and comes with a host of other amazing benefits. And surprisingly, it even tastes great! What's not to love?
For those looking to stay on the coffee train but incorporate the benefits of mushrooms, we highly recommend checking out our 100% Kona Coffee with Lion’s Mane for stable, jitter-free energy and brain-boosting power!
Our mushroom blends are made with 100% Kona coffee beans. Kona coffee is no regular coffee. It is treasured around the world for its full flavor and enchanting aroma. Only coffee cultivated in Kona's North and South districts on the Big Island of Hawaii can be called Kona coffee.
On the slopes of the Hualalai and Mauna Loa Mountains, the cool cloud cover, dry winters, and rich volcanic soil create the perfect unique environment for the perfect coffee beans.
Kona coffee is hand-picked and sun-dried. Our coffee beans go through a careful roasting process, ensuring the best taste and freshest coffee.