Paleo Pancakes (Enhanced with Superfood Mushroom Cacao)
The Paleolithic diet, aka caveman diet or stone-age diet, is a current fad diet with restrictions permitting only foods that have been available to humans during the Paleolithic era. Like all diets, it contains no shortage of controversy with those who vehemently advocate for it & those who oppose it. We aren’t here to give insights into the positives and negatives of this diet or to determine if it is specifically a good choice for you; we just wanted to offer a fun recipe to accodate those interest in it. While there are many people who love the Paleo diety and have found it to greatly suit their lifestyles, we, like with mushrooms, encourage you to do your own research & experimentation :).
On top of the list of foods to avoid for this diet sits grains, which includes breads, pasta, wheat, barley, etc. Potentially one of the most significant sacrifices made to adhere to this part of the diet: Pancakes. Yes, it’s sad…but true. Most pancake recipes use flour from wheat or other grain, which makes them a big ‘no-no’ for this diet. We decided to give this diet a shot and developed a recipe to accommodate those recreating their great-great-great-great …-great uncles & aunties diets. Living in Hawaii next door to singer songwriter Jack Johnson, we couldn’t just let Banana Pancakes be exiled from our lives (that’d make for awkward block parties…) so we felt like it was a great opportunity for a alternative version for this recipe. Lo’ and behold, our Superfood Mushroom Paleo Pancakes:
Ingredients (Makes 4-6 pancakes):
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- Malama Mushroom Cacao Mix (we used the chaga cacao mix)
- Oil spray
- Maple or date syrup
- Toppings of choice
- Take two ripe bananas and mash them with a fork in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 1-2 tsp of Malama Mushrooms chaga cacao extract into bowl.
- Crack two eggs into bowl and whisk until well-blended.
- Spray frying pan with oil and pour pancake of desired size onto pan. Continue until you run out of batter!
- Top with your choice of fresh fruit, cacao nibs, currants, dates, coconut flakes, etc. and pour maple / date syrup on top!
- Now is the best part: take a bite and ENJOY!