We whipped up our vegan / GF take on Sweet Potato Haupia Bars 🍠 made with local Okinawa purple sweet potato (our FAVE) & macadamia nuts 🥰 We of course had to supercharge them with that good-good mush-mush, so we added Lion's Mane extract to the Mac Nut shortbread crust.
These may or may not have been the best part of my day / week / month. From the color to the amazing texture and taste plus the LOCAL aspect (if you on ze island), what is not to love?? These might just make your month, too. ✨💛 If you decide to make these, let us know!
Ingredients with measurements:
Mac Nut Lion's Mane Shortbread
- 1/8 cup + 1 T coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut or oat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch (or combo)
- 1 tbsp Mālama Lion's Mane extract
- 3/4 cup Earth balance vegan butter (can sub with coconut butter, nut butter, or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts toasted
- 1 tsp vanilla + sea salt
- 1 cup water (can be more or less depending on if you used oil or maple syrup for liquifying - consistency shouldn't be too crumbly / should be cohesive when pressing into pan)
Okinawan Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 cups cubed about medium-sized Okinawan sweet potatoes, peeled (2-3 potatoes, depending on size)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp acv
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (coconut sugar works, but may tint the white coloring)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 24 oz canned coconut milk
Pro Tip: Okinawa sweet potatoes may be challenging to find at traditional grocers if you're not in Hawaii, but there are often a different variety of Japanese purple sweet potatoes at most grocers like Safeway n' others like that.
Mac Nut Lion's Mane Shortbread:
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork/pastry blender until they reach a large crumble consistency.
- Press lightly into an 8x8 round pan.
- Cook for 17-20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Okinawan Sweet Potato Filling:
Boil the sweet potatoes until fork-tender and very deep purple, about 10-15 minutes. Whip them until fluffy. Cool.
In separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients until smooth - add more water if too try (hot water will help smooth). Add in Sweet Potato. Don’t worry if it looks grey or if separated; it’ll come together and look more purple after baking. Pour onto the crust and bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is firm and doesn’t jiggle when you shake the pan gently. Cool completely.
Combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add the water and stir until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. In a medium pot, heat the coconut milk on low until warmed through. Slowly add in the sugar/cornstarch/water mixture, stirring constantly until coconut milk mixture starts to thicken. Cool slightly, then pour over the sweet potato layer.
Refrigerate until firm (overnight is best if can!). Before slicing bars, freeze for 15 minutes. Then cut into bars with a sharp knife to cut into bars, wiping the knife clean between cuts for aesthetixxxx. Remove the bars from the pan, then let come to room temperature before serving!
Now do this!